The AGM and Conference is tackling the issues that are shaking the NHS to its very core, and have been making national news lately, hearing from expert speakers. If you are in DFHNS and can make it to London on 1 October, come and hear all about it for yourself: and have a say in what the group does about it next. If not – please consider joining us.
- Professor Sir Michael Rawlins, former Chairman of NICE, now Chairman of the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Authority, will speak on financial and other problems in the NHS and possible solutions – following the major disclosure by NHS managers throughout England that the service simply cannot carry on with massive chronic under-funding.
- Dr Rosena Allin-Khan, MP, Accident & Emergency Doctor and recently elected Labour MP for Tooting, will give her thoughts on the current problems in the NHS from her professional viewpoint and, from the political angle, what may be achievable in this parliament.
- Mr Peter Roderick, Barrister and Co- author with Allyson Pollock of the NHS Reinstatement Bill, will explain the Bill’s purpose, its present position in the parliamentary cycle and what can be done to further its progress.
- Professor Neena Modi, Professor of Neonatal Medicine at Imperial College London and President of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, will deliver the keynote Paul Noone Memorial Lecture: “Efficient, effective, equitable”
Dr Peter Fisher, DFNHS President:
“Apologies if you have already replied about the AGM but Sunday morning’s BBC news and Observer article on the dire state of NHS finances makes the session we had planned on the subject for our Conference on 1st October of even more importance. As you would see from the invitation letter sent out last month we have a number of excellent speakers to lead our discussions and it will be a great opportunity to help shape DFNHS policy and plan activities. If any of the application forms have gone astray etc duplicates can be obtained by emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org
“We hope to see you in London next month.”
- Saturday 1 October, Unite House, 128 Theobald’s Road, London WC1X 8TN, 11 am to 6 pm plus evening meal. (Nearest tube: Holborn; the 58, 68 and 168 buses run from King’s Cross and Euston to within a few hundred yards.)