Service must come before profit
We are doctors campaigning for the restoration of the NHS as a publicly funded, publicly provided and publicly accountable service. This means:
- Abandoning the market-based policies in England of the last 20 years.
- Abolishing the artificial separation into “purchaser” and “provider” which is breaking our health service apart.
- Opposing the increasing cuts to service and systematic replacement of NHS services with private providers: which is being done for ideological, not financial or "efficiency-saving" reasons.
If you are a doctor, please join us. You will gain:
- A network of like-minded medical colleagues, many of whom have been campaigning against NHS cuts and privatisation for years. No other organisation gives this. Doctors for the NHS has a unique professional 'standing' which is widely respected.
- Insight into how the cuts and privatisation are happening – through our e-mails, Facebook and Twitter streams, and our quarterly printed and online newsletter. (You receive a professionally produced, A5 bound copy through the post.)
- More chances to act to save services locally and nationally, as membership facilitates coordination with other health campaigns.
The NHS is under the greatest attack in its history. We have been fighting for the NHS and the values it stands for since the 1970s; we "know our stuff". We set up Keep Our NHS Public in 2005 and the NHS Support Federation. But we need more to join with us – GPs and doctors in training as well as consultants.
Our members are from primary and secondary care, trainees and Public Health doctors. All hold the ideals of the NHS dear and believe passionately that service should come before profit.
Please, join us and help save the NHS. Medicine will suffer as much as the public if the NHS continues to be broken apart for political ideals that are incompatible with it.